Why Publish in PLOS Medicine?
As an author, you want your work to have the greatest impact and be accessible to the widest possible audience. Since 2004, PLOS Medicine offers:
- Open Access for reading, educating, and applying In PLOS Medicine
your research is freely available to all, from the time of publication. Readers do not need a subscription or to pay a one-time fee or register
before they can access our articles. Educators, students, clinicians, researchers, patients, and policy makers worldwide can access and use our
content without barriers of cost or access control. Others can build on your data to advance research in the field and expand the benefits of your work.
- Fast and professional peer review
PLOS Medicine is run by a team of experienced professional editors. We work closely with academic editors and peer reviewers to provide authors with
an efficient, fair, and constructive review process.
- Time-saving presubmission inquiries
Authors provide a presubmission inquiry, consisting of a referenced abstract and a cover letter, prior to formal submission. This process allows us
to let you know within 48 hours whether the paper is potentially suitable, in which case we encourage submission of the full manuscript.
- Rapid publication The time between acceptance and publication is around 6 weeks.
- Editors' summaries Professional editors place your study in context and explain methods, results, and implications in accessible
language that non-specialists can understand, making PLOS Medicine ideal for accurate media coverage, patient education and student and other non-physician learning.
- Publicity We send out weekly press releases on papers published by PLOS Medicine to ensure that papers have the greatest chance of being covered
accurately by the media. In addition, we promote articles on Twitter and other social media to encourage wide awareness and discussion..
- Abstract translations Provide translations of your abstract, and these will be published along with the article, freely accessible to
readers and search engines to index your work more widely and expand your reach.
- No pharmaceutical or device company ads PLOS Medicine does not accept advertising from pharmaceutical or device manufacturers, ensuring that readers do not
encounter advertising by companies with competing interests while reading your work and avoiding potential conflicts of interest in editorial decision making.
- Commentary by authors without financial conflicts of interest PLOS Medicine publishes commentary by experts without financial conflicts of interest,
providing an authoritative voice independent of commercial marketing or promotion efforts.
- Publication decisions not driven by impact factor PLOS Medicine provides you with article level metrics
to help assess your article's impact. Decisions to publish are based on the science and potential impact of the article for patients and policy, not influenced on whether an article is likely to affect the journal's impact factor.
- No arbitrary constraints on article length or presentation Your research publication should include the methods necessary to fully explain what was done and all the results, accessible from
wherever the article is accessed. At PLOS Medicine article length is determined by the science, not by an arbitrary page limit.
- Post-publication Commenting allows readers and authors to engage in dialogue that is directly accessible from the full-text article.
- Linkage to the full PLOS suite of Open Access publications Papers submitted to PLOS Medicine that are found on evaluation to be better suited to another PLOS journal can be
transferred directly at your request.