About the Authors
- Iryna Schlackow, A. Sarah Walker, Kate Dingle, David Griffiths, Sarah Oakley, John Finney, Ali Vaughan, Derrick W. Crook, Tim E. A. Peto, David H. Wyllie
- NIHR Oxford Biomedical Research Centre, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
- A. Sarah Walker
- MRC Clinical Trials Unit, London, United Kingdom
- David H. Wyllie
- Health Protection Agency, Oxford, United Kingdom
- Martin J. Gill
- University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, United Kingdom
IS was supported by NIHR grant RP-DG-1108-10125, and DW was supported in part by the Health Protection Agency during the work described. We declare no other financial relationships with any organisations that might have an interest in the submitted work in the previous three years. IS, DW, TP, DC and ASW have applied for a patent related to the techniques described. TP has been a scientific advisor to Optimer Pharmaceuticals.
Conceived and designed the experiments: DHW ASW. Performed the experiments: DHW ASW IS JF AV DG SO KD MG. Analyzed the data: IS ASW DHW MG. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: JF AV DG SO KD. Wrote the first draft of the manuscript: DHW IS. Contributed to the writing of the manuscript: DHW TP DW IS JF MG DC. ICMJE criteria for authorship read and met: DHW ASW IS AV DG SO KD JF MG TP DC. Agree with manuscript results and conclusions: DHW ASW IS AV DG SO KD JF MG TP DC.