About the Authors
- Peter Ventevogel, Willem van de Put, Bibiane van Mierlo, Ivan H. Komproe
- Department of Research and Development, HealthNet TPO, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Hafizullah Faiz
- Mental Health Project, International Medical Corps, Kabul, Afghanistan
- Majeed Siddiqi
- Country Office Afghanistan, HealthNet TPO, Kabul, Afghanistan
- Ivan H. Komproe
- Department of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PV, WvdP, BvM, MS, and IHK are employees of HealthNet TPO. HF worked with HealthNet TPO from 2002 to 2009. PV has been a member of the Guidelines Development Committee for Mental, Neurological and Substance Use Disorders in Non-Specialized Health Settings of the World Health Organization (2008–2010) and of the Board of the Section Transcultural Psychiatry of the Dutch Association for Psychiatry (NVvP). PV is also paid by the NGO War Trauma Foundation as Editor in Chief of Intervention, the International Journal of Mental Health, Psychosocial Work and Counselling in Areas of Armed Conflict. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the institutions that they serve.
Analyzed the data: PV HF BvM IK. Wrote the first draft of the manuscript: PV. Contributed to the writing of the manuscript: PV WvdP HF BvM MS IK. ICMJE criteria for authorship read and met: PV WvdP HF BvM MS IK. Agree with manuscript results and conclusions: PV WvdP HF BvM MS IK. Wrote the first draft of the case example in Box 1: HF. Wrote the first draft of the case example in Box 2: BvM.