About the Authors
- Marcia S. Wertz, Suman Paranjape, Stanton A. Glantz
- Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
- Marcia S. Wertz
- Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, School of Nursing, University of California San Francisco San Francisco, California, United States of America
- Thomas Kyriss
- Thoracic Surgery, Schillerhoehe Hospital, Gerlingen, Germany
- Stanton A. Glantz
- Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
The authors do not consider these competing interests, but in the interest of full transparency Dr. Glantz declares the following: Dr. Glantz holds two research grants related to tobacco from the National Cancer Institute (one of which, CA-87472, supported this work), an endowed chair as American Legacy Distinguished Professor in Tobacco Control, and, during the time some of the work on this project was completed, an unrelated grant from University of California Tobacco Related Diseases Research Program. Dr. Glantz also administers an endowment from the American Legacy Foundation, which supports the UCSF Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, which Dr. Glantz directs, and the Legacy Tobacco Documents Library. He also has the William Cahan Endowment provided by the Flight Attendant Medical Research Institute. None of these organizations played any role in the preparation of this paper or the decision to submit it for publication. All other authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
Conceived and designed the experiments: SAG. Analyzed the data: MSW TK SP SAG. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: SAG. Wrote the first draft of the manuscript: MSW SP. Contributed to the writing of the manuscript: MSW TK SP SAG. ICMJE criteria for authorship read and met: MSW TK SP SAG. Agree with manuscript results and conclusions: MSW TK SP SAG.