About the Authors
- Lesley E. Scott, Natasha Gous, Wendy Stevens
- Department of Molecular Medicine and Hematology, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Kerrigan McCarthy, Willem F. Venter
- Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Matilda Nduna, Adrian Duse, Wendy Stevens
- National Health Laboratory Service, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Annelies Van Rie
- Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States of America
- Ian Sanne
- Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, University of the Witwatersrand, and Right to Care, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Adrian Duse
- Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
The Academic Editor, Madhukar Pai, declares that he consults for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). The BMGF supported the Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND), which was involved in the development of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay. He also co-chairs the Stop TB Partnership's New Diagnostics Working Group that was involved in the WHO endorsement of the Xpert assay. The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
Conceived and designed the experiments: LS KM WS IS FV AD. Performed the experiments: NG LS. Analyzed the data: LS KM AVR NG. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: WS IS FV. Wrote the paper: LS KM AVR NG WS. ICMJE criteria for authorship read and met: LS KM NG MN AVR IS FV AD WS. Agree with the manuscript's results and conclusions: LS KM NG MN AVR IS FV AD WS. Enrolled patients: MN. Wrote the first draft of the paper: LS KM NG WS. Clinic management where study conducted: FV IS. Managed infection control necessary for study to be performed and assistance with RIF resistance data interpretation: AD.