About the Authors
- Edward Goldstein, Sarah Cobey, Joel C. Miller, Marc Lipsitch
- Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
- Saki Takahashi
- Department of Applied Mathematics, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
- Joel C. Miller
- Fogarty International Center, US National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
- Marc Lipsitch
- Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
Marc Lipsitch is on the PLoS Medicine Editorial Board. ML discloses consulting income from the Avian/Pandemic Flu Registry (Outcome Sciences, funded in part by Roche) and from Pfizer/Wyeth and from Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics. The other authors declare no competing interests.
Conceived and designed the experiments: EG SC JCM ML. Performed the experiments: EG ST. Analyzed the data: EG ST SC ML. Wrote the paper: EG SC ML. ICMJE criteria for authorship read and met: EG ST SC JCM ML. Agree with the manuscript's results and conclusions: EG ST SC JCM ML. Wrote the first draft of the paper: EG SC ML.