About the Authors
- Philip Ayieko, Stephen Ntoburi, John Wagai, Charles Opondo, Newton Opiyo, Greg Fegan, Grace Irimu, Mike English
- KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
- Santau Migiro, Annah Wamae
- Division of Child Health, Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation, Nairobi, Kenya
- Wycliffe Mogoa
- Ministry of Medical Services, Nairobi, Kenya
- Fred Were, Aggrey Wasunna, Grace Irimu
- Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Nairobi, Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi, Kenya
- Greg Fegan
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
- Mike English
- Department of Paediatrics, University of Oxford and John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford, United Kingdom
Santau Migiro, Wycliffe Mogoa, and Annah Wamae declared that they are employed by The Kenyan Government within the Ministries of Health and have responsibilities for child and newborn health. Mike English declares: 1. I coordinated the development of the multifaceted approach prior to its being tested in the trial. 2. I help coordinate provision of ETAT+ training on a voluntary basis (one component of the intervention) as attempts are made to provide the training to non-trial hospitals and within the University of Nairobi to trainee paediatricians and medical students. 3. I am attached to KEMRI and employed by Oxford University. 4. I sit on an advisory committee (unpaid) to the government of Kenya, the Child Health Interagency Coordinating Committee and have acted as a technical advisor to WHO on several occasions in the child and newborn health arena. There is no commercial aspect to the development of the training and other aspects of the intervention. In fact all training materials are freely available on the website http://www.idoc-africa.org. All the remaining authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
ICMJE criteria for authorship read and met: P Ayieko, S Ntoburi, J Wagai, C Opondo, N Opiyo, S Migiro, A Wamae, W Mogoa, F Were, A Wasunna, G Fegan, G Irimu, M English. Agree with the results and conclusions: P Ayieko, S Ntoburi, J Wagai, C Opondo, N Opiyo, S Migiro, A Wamae, W Mogoa, F Were, A Wasunna, G Fegan, G Irimu, M English. Conceived and designed the experiments: A Wamae, F Were, A Wassuna, M English. Analyzed the data: P Ayieko, C Opondo, G Fegan, M English. Wrote the first draft: P Ayieko, M English. Wrote the paper: P Ayieko, M English. Obtained the funding for this project: M English. Provided and coordinated training and supervision: S Ntoburi, J Wagai, G Irimu, M English. Responsible for surveys, and analyses conducted to inform feedback: P Aiyeko, S Ntoburi, C Opundo, N Opiyo, J Wagai, G Irimu, M English.