About the Authors
- Philip M. Clarke
- School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- Paul Glasziou
- Department of Primary Care, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
- Anushka Patel, John Chalmers, Mark Woodward
- George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- Stephen B. Harrap
- Department of Physiology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
- Joshua A. Salomon
- Department of Global Health and Population, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PMC has received research grants from Servier. PG has received funding from the George Institute for the cost-effectiveness sub-study of the ADVANCE trial. AP reports receiving lecture fees from Servier, Pfizer, and Abbott and grant support from Pfizer, Servier, and Sanofi-Aventis. JC has received research grants from Servier, administered through the University of Sydney, as Co-Chief investigator for ADVANCE and has received lecture fees from Servier for speaking at scientific meetings. He has also received lecture fees from Pfizer and Daiichi and grant support from Servier. MW has received consulting fees from GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, and Pfizer, lecture fees from Pfizer, and grant support from Pfizer and Sanofi-Aventis. He has received lecture fees from Servier to present on the main results from ADVANCE (not those in this paper). He has also served on a steering committee for Roche. SBH has received lecture fees from Pfizer and Servier. JAS and AP are on the Editorial Board of PLoS Medicine.
ICMJE criteria for authorship read and met: PMC PG AP JC MW SBH JAS. Agree with the manuscript's results and conclusions: PMC PG AP JC MW SBH JAS. Designed the experiments/the study: PG JC MW SBH. Analyzed the data: PMC PG JAS. Collected data/did experiments for the study: AP. Wrote the first draft of the paper: PMC JAS. Contributed to the writing of the paper: PG AP JC MW SBH. Developed the model: PMC. Co-Chief investigator for the main ADVANCE study: JC. Contributed to the planning of the analyses and to the interpretation and drafting of this report: JC. Contributed to model development and revision: JAS. Created the cost calculator accompanying the paper: JAS.