About the Authors
- Fina A. S Kurreeman, Rute B Marques, Gerrie Stoeken-Rijsbergen, Annette H. M van der Helm-van Mil, Cornelia F Allaart, Tom W. J Huizinga, Rene E. M Toes
- Department of Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
- Leonid Padyukov, Maria Seddighzadeh, Lars Klareskog
- Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institute at Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
- Steven J Schrodi, Ann B Begovich
- Celera, Alameda, California, United States of America
- Willem Verduyn
- Department of Immunohaematology and Bloodbank, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
- Jeanine Houwing-Duistermaat
- Department of Medical Statistics, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
- Lars Alfredsson
- Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Drs. Begovich and Schrodi own stock options in Applied Biosystems and Celera Genomics. The remaining authors have declared no conflicts of interest.
FASK, LP, SJS, LA, LK, TWJH, and REMT designed the study. FASK, LP, SJS, GSR, AHM, JHD, ABB, LK, TWJH, and REMT analyzed the data. AHM, CFA, WV, LA, ABB, LK, TWJH, and REMT enrolled patients. FASK, LP, RBM, CFA, WV, JHD, LA, ABB, LK, TWJH, and REMT contributed to writing the paper. FASK, LP, RBM, SJS, MS, GSR, CFA, LA, ABB, LK, TWJH, and REMT collected data or performed experiments for this study. MS genotyped Swedish patients and controls. CFA provided data and material of one of the cohorts investigated in this paper, being the principal investigator of the study that included the patients in this cohort, and assisted with the interpretation of clinical data. LA was principal investigator (together with LK) of EIRA, the largest of the studies that was used for replication. LA was responsible for the design of EIRA and also for the organization of data collection. LK contributed to the collection of patients and controls in the Swedish EIRA study.