About the Authors
- John J Aponte, Clara Menendez, David Schellenberg, Pedro L Alonso
- Barcelona Centre for International Health Research, Hospital Clinic/IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
- John J Aponte, Clara Menendez, Pedro L Alonso
- Centro de Investigacão en Saude de Manhica, Manhica, Mozambique
- David Schellenberg, Elizeus Kahigwa, Hassan Mshinda
- Ifakara Health Research and Development Centre, Ifakara, Tanzania
- Penelope Vountasou, Marcel Tanner
- Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
JJA, CM, EK, HM, MT, and PLA designed the study. JJA, MT, and PLA analyzed the data. CM, DS, and EK enrolled patients. JJA, CM, DS, EK, HM, MT, and PLA contributed to writing the paper. EK, HM, and PLA collected data or performed experiments for this study. DS helped to coordinate the team that recruited and followed-up children in Ifakara. EK was involved in the recruitment of children for whom baseline data were collected through both clinical and laboratory tests. EK supervised the field work concerning weekly malaria chemoprophylaxis, and performed follow-up in cross-sectional surveys where physical examination of children was done and laboratory tests were taken. EK also performed follow-up in passive case detection if the child became ill and needed clinical attention. PV was involved in the study design and data management, and supported the statistical analysis. MT assisted in coordinating the whole programme of which this paper is part.