About the Authors
- Amorsolo L Suguitan Jr., Josephine McAuliffe, Kimberly L Mills, Catherine J Luke, Brian Murphy, Kanta Subbarao
- Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
- Hong Jin, Greg Duke, Bin Lu, George Kemble
- MedImmune Vaccines, Mountain View, California, United States of America
- David E Swayne
- Southeast Poultry Research Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Athens, Georgia, United States of America
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
BM, GK, and KS conceived the idea and were the lab chief of the NIH team and principal investigators of the NIH and MedImmune teams, respectively. JM, HJ, GD, BL, and KS produced recombinant cDNAs and rescued the viruses by reverse genetics. ALS, JM, KLM, and KS performed the mouse and ferret studies. DES was responsible for evaluation of the viruses in chickens and CEF cells. BM advised on the preparation of the manuscript. ALS, CJL, and KS wrote the article, with input from all of the authors. All of the authors participated in analysis and interpretation of the data.