About the Authors
- Jesse J Kwiek, Alisa P Alker, William C Miller, Steven R Meshnick
- Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States of America
- Victor Mwapasa
- Department of Community Health, College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Blantyre, Malawi
- Danny A Milner Jr
- Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
- Eyob Tadesse
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Blantyre, Malawi
- Malcolm E Molyneux
- Malawi-Liverpool-Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme, College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Blantyre, Malawi
- Stephen J Rogerson
- Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
JJK participated in hypothesis generation, data collection, and data analysis, and was the primary author of this study. VM participated in the study design, data collection, and the writing of the manuscript. DAM diagnosed chorioamnionitis. APA contributed to the data analysis. WCM suggested the case-cohort design and participated in data analysis and manuscript preparation. ET contributed to data collection and was the Chief Obstetrician. MEM participated in participant recruitment and study management/supervision. SJR diagnosed placental malaria, developed the hypothesis, participated in data analysis, and provided study oversight. SRM developed the hypothesis; participated in the study design, data analysis, and study coordination; and was the Principal Investigator. All of the authors edited and revised the final manuscript.