About the Authors
- Thorkild I.A Sørensen
- Danish Epidemiology Science Centre, Institute of Preventive Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Aila Rissanen
- Obesity Research Unit, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
- Maarit Korkeila, Jaakko Kaprio
- Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Jaakko Kaprio
- Department of Mental Health, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
TIAS has been a member of the working group that prepared the governmental national action plan against the obesity epidemic. TIAS is currently president of the Danish Association for the Study of Obesity. TIAS has received research grants from the European Commission to conduct research in the aetiology, development, and treatment of obesity. TIAS has a contract with the research company Nestec, owned by Nestlé, to conduct metabolomic analysis aiming at identifying targets for obesity prevention and treatment. TIAS was recently included in the scientific advisory board of the local national branch of the drug company Sanofi-Aventis, which plans to market the new anti-obesity drug rimonabant. The other authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
TIAS, AR, and JK designed the study. JK analyzed the data and enrolled participants. TIAS, AR, MK, and JK contributed to writing the paper.