About the Authors
- Marc Lipsitch
- Departments of Epidemiology and Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
- Cynthia G Whitney, Elizabeth Zell
- Active Bacterial Core Surveillance and Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
- Tarja Kaijalainen
- National Reference Laboratory for Pneumococcus, National Public Health Institute, Oulu, Finland
- Ron Dagan
- Pediatric Infectious Disease Unit, Soroka University Medical Center and the Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
- Richard Malley
- Children's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
ML and RM designed the study. TK and RD conducted the studies. ML and EZ analyzed the data. CGW, EZ, and the Active Bacterial Core Surveillance Team contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools. ML, RM, CGW, and RD contributed to writing the paper. The members of the Active Bacterial Core Surveillance Team are listed in the Acknowledgments.